Spring into survey time
Spring into survey time
In south west Western Australia, the greatest number of plants are identifiable during spring, thus providing the best opportunity to detect and survey flowering species.
Spring is also the time that surveys need to be conducted to comply with and satisfy regulatory requirements. Missing this timeframe will lead to significant project delays.
With the official start to spring only a mere four weeks away and it being a botanist’s busiest time of the year; ensuring your survey requirements are scheduled will help avoid project delays.
A spring survey is generally required for all projects south of Carnarvon where vegetation is proposed to be cleared. Survey requirements may include:
- brief vegetation condition assessment to determine whether a project will require a clearing permit or other approvals
- a detailed flora and vegetation survey (including vegetation mapping) to support an assessment of environmental impact
- targeted surveys to determine the presence or absence of Threatened species and communities
- monitoring of rehabilitation and revegetation.
With a fully qualified in-house team of specialists in WA, we have the capability and experience to assist clients with a comprehensive suite of ecological and rehabilitation services that include planning, management and monitoring services.
Given our extensive environmental approvals background and strong government networks, we can provide strategic advice, as well as consultation support with regulatory agencies prior to, and following flora and vegetation surveys to increase the likelihood of successful approvals.
Further surveys and assessments to consider undertaking during spring include:
- targeted surveys for Threatened orchid Caladenia huegelii, and a host of other Threatened Flora species – some species are only identifiable during spring
- assessments of vegetation to determine the presence of EPBC Act-listed Banksia Woodland Threatened Ecological Communities
- targeted frog and reptile surveys
- migratory shorebird surveys.
We strongly suggest not leaving your ecological survey and planning requirements to the last minute.
Our team is available to assist with any flora, vegetation or fauna advice and survey requirements.
For West Australian spring survey requirements, contact our local offices today!